About Me


About Me



Hi! Welcome to my blog! My name is Suzie and after working as an accountant for 10 years, I decided to give up the rat race and switch careers. My husband, who was serving as a Psychologist in the Air Force did the same. Now we both teach high school in San Antonio, Texas. I teach Geometry and my husband teaches Physics. During the summer we take our kids on all kinds of fun vactions. This year we purchased our first pop-up trailer and couldn't be more thrilled. It's a 2003 Colman Utah and we pull it with our 2011 Ford F150 Eco Boost. This blog is devoted to my pop-up adventures. Please enjoy.



Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Attaching the Box

The box doesn't have a bottom so I added L-shaped aluminum to the bottom edge. This will provide something to attach the box to and help protect against water damage.


I used big washers to keep the weight of the box from pulling through the heads of the screws.


I waterproofed the joints with metal colored silicone caulk.


Jared took these pictures of me attaching the box to the frame. I used #10 hex-head screws spaced every 2 inches.


We made sure to give the metal manufacturing place the old side from the trailer so that they could cut the opening for the water heater to the exact right size. It was really easy to just slide the water heater back in and attach it using the old screws. I used heat resistant metal caulk (rated to 400 degrees).


I wasn't able to figure a way to make a new door for the water heater so I just used the old one. It attaches really easy and has the right venting. It doesn't match the box, but it does match the rest of the trailer and adds continuity.

1 comment:

  1. How much did they charge you to fabricate this box for your camper? We have a 2004 Niagara which is almost identical to yours and we're having the same issues you are with the leaking box. We live just outside of Dallas, TX so I'm gonna see who around here might be able to build it. Please e-mail me back at jared@ffgvl.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete