About Me


About Me



Hi! Welcome to my blog! My name is Suzie and after working as an accountant for 10 years, I decided to give up the rat race and switch careers. My husband, who was serving as a Psychologist in the Air Force did the same. Now we both teach high school in San Antonio, Texas. I teach Geometry and my husband teaches Physics. During the summer we take our kids on all kinds of fun vactions. This year we purchased our first pop-up trailer and couldn't be more thrilled. It's a 2003 Colman Utah and we pull it with our 2011 Ford F150 Eco Boost. This blog is devoted to my pop-up adventures. Please enjoy.



Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Inspecting the Damage

This first picture looks the worst, but it turns out that it wasn't really all that bad. The crack was covered with duct tape when we bought the trailer but we knew it was there. It didn't appear to have let any water into the trunk at all. However, the potential was there.


 This is a bad picture of the biggest problem. There is a crack running down from the top of the "lid deck" to the area under the hinge. It had let a lot of water into the trailer before we took it to Camping World in New Braunfels, TX to get it repaired. They left it out in the rain (more water got in) and then "fixed" the problem by squirting silicone caulk into the crack. It didn't solve the problem. Since the crack exended under the hinge and the caulk didn't, water could still get in.


This is the paneling inside the trunk next to the access door. So much water was getting in around the seal that the wood had swelled to twice its original thickness. The seal actually appeared to still be in tact, but the door was installed in such a way that there was a gap that water could get through.


All over the trunk we found tiny cracks in the ABS. This is just one example. The biggest problem areas were under the lip where the covers met the floor and around the locks.


This is another example of Camping World's terrible fix. The stabilizer had fallen off the underside of the trunk lid. But instead of gluing it back on, they reattached it with bolts drilled through the lid. Each bolt was topped with a hershey's kiss of silicone caulk. It looked terrible! 

2 comments:

  1. Do you have any pictures of the front/sides before the demo. The front panel on my Coleman Tacoma is cracked and I am looking for ways to repair or replace it. I like the way your's turned out that is why I asked for more pictures. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. These are the only pictures that I have.

      Delete